Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Mmmm.......Comfort foods

Even with the unpredictable up and down weather we are having in the northeast (50 degrees today), it is almost February and the time of year that we are all craving comfort foods. Beef stew, meatloaf, oatmeal cookies, homemade mac and cheese, chili, lasagna, roasted chicken with mashed potatos and gravy, chocolate chip cookies............


The recipe for this mac and cheese to come in a future comfort food blog.....for now I want to share a recipe that I have been making for 20 years or more. It is from the cookbook Applehood and Motherpie. From cover to cover, this cookbook is one fabulous recipe after another. I have never found a bad one. It's subtitle is "handpicked recipes from Upstate New York" by The Junior League of Rochester. My copy is quite old and taped up but you will never get it from me! I don't think it is even in print anymore. You may beable to get one at a garage sale or thrift store if you are fortunate enough to live in Upstate New York!

The recipe is for Chicken Herb Pie and it is SO good. It serves 6 people, or if you live in my family of 3, it is gone in one sitting.


Preheat oven to 425 degrees
 generous quantity of pastry for 9 or 10" pie ( use Pillsbury all ready pie crust)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon thyme (don't leave this out, it makes it!)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup light cream
2 tablespoons sherry or white cooking wine
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1  10 oz. box frozen peas, thawed slightly
                                                                     1 pound can sliced carrots, drained

Use 2/3 of pastry to line pie plate. Reserve the rest for a lattice crust. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Blend in flour, salt, pepper, and thyme. Cook over low heat, stirring until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Add broth, cream and wine and mix well. Return to heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, and boil for one minute. Remove from heat. Add chicken and vegetables. Mix well. Fill pastry shell with mixture.


Add pastry lattice on top.....


                                                      and bake till browned, 35 to 40 minutes





If you want to serve more people, use a 9 x 13 inch pan, double the pastry and use 1 1/2 times the chicken and vegetables.
Enjoy!
Are you hungry yet??
          AnnMarie :)

15 comments :

  1. Ooh - that pie looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy! I love chicken pot pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my YUMMINESS!!!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got hungry! looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumyy, yummy...num..num.... have to try this one....♥
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chicken pot pie. I've never tried topping mine with the lattice strips. Looks beautiful!

    Coming to you via Etsy Homespun Society.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks soooo yummy! and I love that you have that special cook book, what a neat thing to hold onto

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also a vintage recipe book collector. You have all the same comfort foods as me! LOL

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!! We'll have to make that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are so pretty, and the recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my! This looks soooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad my monitor is not scratch n sniff! That looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmmmmmmmm, that does sound delicious but loaded with calories and fat. It's a "throw caution to the wind" dinner. I have APPLEHOOD AND MOTHER PIE. I am from upstate NY. I think the thing I love most about the book is that it stands up by itself on the counter !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment...I treasure each one! Do you know if you are a no reply comment blogger? I love to reply to your comments but sometimes instead of an email there is a noreply-comment@blogger.com. It can easily be changed by changing the setting in your blogger profile to "show email address".